Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Questions for the Candidates

If I ran this debate thingy. My print column is up.

UPDATE: From the comments, 1uofpitt1 writes:

I think it's obvious Mitt Romney includes Brittany with Down Syndrome in his 47%. After all, she's receiving government assistance. She's the half he's not concerned with. Also, I fail to see how it's President Obama's fault when mothers decide to abort their babies-to-be with Down Syndrome. If the mother of the special needs child won't love, protect, or provide for her special needs child - who will? And who will pay the exorbitant amount of money to care for these unwanted special needs children? Not to mention, the horror of a special needs child being brought up in a cold institution. I never understood the favor pro-lifers thought they were doing children when there is a much worse fate in store for them than being forced into the world by a selfish, unwilling, unloving mother. And sadly, not many others will care for someone else's special needs child. It's a tragic reality.

No, that is not the tragic reality. The waiting list to adopt babies with Down syndrome is long. If only their mother's wouldn't abort them. The cost of raising such a child is no more exorbitant than the cost of raising any other child. Compare the fate pro-lifers have in mind for Down syndrome kids to the fate pro-abortionists have in mind - being sliced and diced and trashed as medical waste - I'll go with the pro-lifers every time.


3 Comments:

Blogger CharlieSix said...

1uofpitt1 presents a very sad commentary which reflects so negatively on our society today. To justify abortion of special needs human beings solely on the basis of the cost of their care in the way 1uofpitt1 did is very disappointing. No, read: disgusting. I'm with you, Mr. Spencer. And I strongly suspect that there are many other U of Pitt alumni who would equally disagree with his or her position.

October 3, 2012 at 8:10 PM 
Anonymous 1uofpitt1 said...

I certainty don't recommend abortion to anyone, in any case - and especially aborting a child with Down Syndrome. I don't recommend abortion ever. The point I was trying to make was Romney flip flopped and was being insincere. I wasn't defending aborting children with Down Syndrome. They are beautiful and lovable children. I'm pro-choice ONLY because I believe it's the lesser of evil and misery for the children when their mothers clearly don't want them and resent them. I've never been pro-choice because I thought women should be entitled to pick and choose their children, or because they are entitled to do what they want with their body, etc. It's not a feminist issue for me. Abortion is an awful thing. However, I believe children being mistreated, abused, neglected, unloved by their mother is worse. And in a perfect world the solution is adoption, but many women would rather neglect their child than make the responsible choice and put the child up for adoption. My opinion, but I respect yours.

October 4, 2012 at 11:59 PM 
Blogger Spencerblog said...

The answer to children being abused or mistreated is to rescue them, not to kill them on the off chance that they'll be mistreated.

Hard to see how abortion is "the lesser evil" but, I understand why you think what you do. I used to think pretty much the same thing.

October 5, 2012 at 10:36 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home