Monday, December 26, 2011

Bill Conlin: Giving Pompous Asshats a Bad Name

The more I read about this particular accused child-molester, the more I think the above headline is right on.

At least Jerry Sandusky seemed like a nice guy.

UPDATE: From Conlin's emails to A.J. Daulerio at Deadspin right before the story broke...
... I am a lot bigger to the Daily News than Sandusky ever was to Penn State. But I don't have 19 years of heinous molestations involving children in my care that were covered up at many institutional levels. My daughter used to babysit Carlton's and McCarver's kids in spring training. Kalas' kids and my sons are still close. They were home-schooled by the same spring training tutor. 
          Me to Conlin (10:50 p.m.): So you don't want it out there before the grave, newspaper
          version hits.
Conlin to me (11:10 p.m.): No, because that makes it a transparent move to cover my ass and which could be construed as a tactical plea bargain. In either case, I will have no choice but to either retire or resign from the Daily News. My "old, red, eyes," as you described them in your generous piece in PhillyMag, have seen more than enough. I will be 78 in May and should have fucking retired 12 years ago. But because I continued to attract more readers on average than any writer on either paper they gave me a sweetheart deal I could not refuse. But I make enough in pension and SS to walk on my salary to retire comfortably. I just do not wish to exit with an undeserved "P" on my chest. If the piece this beatch writes paints me as a Jekyll-Hyde without identifying the "accusers," their names need to be out there next to mine—since they bought houses from my wife, drank my vodka the night of her viewing and decided after 40 years it was Sandusky Time to come out.
See what I mean.

4 Comments:

Blogger steve mcdonald said...

1991 called, it wants it's insult back.

December 26, 2011 at 6:02 PM 
Blogger Spencerblog said...

1991 is an Indian giver.

December 26, 2011 at 6:15 PM 
Blogger steve mcdonald said...

I haven't heard 'asshat' used since 'Clerks' was in theatres. Anyway, a cousin and I have laughed over the years about how Conlin had a tendency to 'big-time' his readers with his pieces, almost as if he's trying to show his literary and historical dominance over the reader. His emails to AJ back up our old joke!

December 27, 2011 at 7:45 AM 
Blogger Dannytheman said...

I love asshat as a description!!

December 28, 2011 at 6:06 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home