Monday, October 31, 2011

Government Motors Edsel

(Posted by Dannytheman)

The Chevy Volt, President Obama's attempt at taking us green, is a serious failure. Our taxpayer dollars floundered away on another dreamy, eco, green fantasy.

How many jobs will stay at Government Motors if these electric cars rust on dealer lots?
The progressives celebrated when King of Prussia mall placed electric vehicle charging stations at it's mall. They were not smart enough to know that K of P mall did it for the specific tax credit.
I don't get free gas for going to the mall, do you?  Why should a Chevy Volt owner get a free charge?  Feel free to let the mall know how you feel. K of P mall.

Government Motors Failure

U.S. Rep. Mike Kelly, R-Butler, has a Volt collecting dust at his Butler car dealership. He said he isn't surprised by the lack of interest in the vehicle.

"The American people are smarter than the government -- they're not buying that car," he said. "I just pay interest on it, insure it, and in another week or month we'll scrape snow off it."


Why is our government investing, spending stimulus, in business in the first place? I always thought if people wanted it, companies would sell it. But again, like the curly cue light bulb, we are being charged (Taxed) to have government make our decisions for us. Who ask them to?
Not me, not anyone I know. I like having choices, and the best ones the people adopt.  It is all progressive ideologues who think they know better than you and me. These progressives all went to a same particular schools and truly believe, deep in their hearts, that they are smarter and better prepared to tell the rest of us what we need and want. So I will become a criminal if I skip over the border and bring back some 60, 75 and 100 standard light bulbs. I'm sure some progressive elected official will attempt to make that a felony, like the Maple Syrup controversy.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the car is a dud... why are there no Chevy Volts offered at discount?

October 31, 2011 at 4:22 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I tried to get my Volt charged on Friday in Ann Arbor Michigan, I found 2 other Volts and 1 Leaf there. There were more cars than charging stations.

I expected it to take a lot longer for these charging stations to be used, but the infrastructe seems to be attracting EV drivers to these stations.

Perhaps you will see this happen in PA as more EVs are on the road.

October 31, 2011 at 4:25 PM 
Blogger Dannytheman said...

Anon 1) Am I to understand that only dud cars get discounted? The sticker price is over my Chevy Silverado 1500 with all the trimmings, and it's huge V-8.

Anon 2) Can't you charge at home, or is free better for you?

October 31, 2011 at 4:34 PM 
Blogger Bob Bohne said...

Dan - I wish you wouldn't use the light bulb comparison. First off, that was a move made during the Bush administration, and I believe that was something that Bush did right. Despite what so many think, incandescents are not outlawed. They simply have been forced to make more efficient incandescents which many companies have done. This not only saves on energy consumption, but also saves the homeowner a few bucks. Why would you object to that?

November 1, 2011 at 11:47 AM 
Blogger steve mcdonald said...

the light bulb comparison is legitimate, its another example of government's inability to get out of its own way. Why can't they allow the market to determine demand? as demand increases for a product, supply ramps up and the overall cost is reduced to account for the market.

Here's an interesting study - Target has Christmas lights out - standard AND LED - I'm interested in seeing how the market reacts to this choice.

by the way, Bob, I have plenty of incandescent bulbs in my house, and I have to tell you, I replace them much more frequently than I did with standard light bulbs. They seem to die out quickly on me in several locations: living room, kitchen, bathrooms, etc. Right now, I'm spending more for these 'efficient' bulbs and their replacement costs than I did with standards.

November 2, 2011 at 10:38 AM 
Blogger Bob Bohne said...

Steve - Incandescent bulbs ARE the standard light bulbs.

November 2, 2011 at 12:27 PM 
Blogger Bob Bohne said...

Steve - This is what I get for being nice and saying the Bush administration did something right by passing ligt bulb laws! BTW, I have one of the early energy saving bulbs (CFL) in my porch light. Its been on every night, for several hours a night, for at least 6 yrs. Ive also had a few duds, but for the most part, they are an excellent product. Someone just gave me an LED flashlight. It's about the size of a cigarette lighter, but the light it produces is amazing. It's progress plain and simple. I remember reading about people who complaind about the first cars. FYI - Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007. It requires that general-purpose light bulbs that produce 310 to 2600 lumens be 30 percent more energy efficient than current incandescent bulbs by 2012 to 2014. The efficiency standards will start with 100-watt bulbs in January 2012 and end with 40-watt bulbs in January 2014. Essentially, it will lead to the death of incandescents, which were first debuted in public in 1879. The car was invented six years later. Exemptions for Easy Bake Oven bulbs and reptile terrarium lights exist.

November 2, 2011 at 12:41 PM 
Blogger steve mcdonald said...

I'm sorry, I was quick to type and didn't bother to take a second to separate the two. I was off to a meeting and rushed myself to get a point out.

Again, why do we need government to push the issue? If the energy efficient bulbs are the answer, if they're more of an energy saver, why wouldn't natural supply and demand handle the progression of a product's life cycle over the government? Yes, standard bulbs aren't efficient, however, we're not talking about products that could harm us in any physical way (unlike tainted food products or asbestos-lined materials of the past). The government is telling they know whats better for us than we do, and have enacted nonsense legislation to back it up.

RE: Personal use - its frustrating, these bulbs get me by the *****. Most of our rooms are now energy efficient (Except ceiling fan lights - haven't found a bulb/lamp I like yet), but I change them more frequently than standard bulbs. the house's electrical system is solid (Had it checked) yet they continue to crap out on me. I've bought from multiple manufacturers but they all seem destined to go down sooner rather than later.

On a related issue, what do you think about traffic signals having LEDs? Did you see the issues they had in the city this winter? The new LED signals don't melt snow away like the standard signals did, so now there's a safety risk associated with our new 'technology'

November 2, 2011 at 3:10 PM 
Blogger Bob Bohne said...

Steve - Look at the bill in it's entirety. I think it was an attempt to accelerate energy independence. Do you wait for years for something to phase out or do you advance it? I have problems with the "mini spot lights" used in kitchen and hall lighting. They are incandescent and I'm lucky if I get 6 months out of them. I'm going to have to replace the entire fixture.

November 2, 2011 at 3:24 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home