Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Aimless, Homeless, Clueless

Went to the Occupy Philly protests Tuesday. My print column is up.

In it you'll meet N.A. Poe, a Delco-born comic and videographer, who has been sleeping under Billy Penn's hat for almost a week.

Here's one of his videos:



He has all the necessities for a good protest hang: tent, junk food, a cute girlfriend and weed. I talked to him for about 10 minutes. He's no idiot. But, at 32 years old, he has failed to launch.

UPDATE: I should mention in fairness, that everyone I met and talked to at the "happening" was pleasant, earnest and polite. Everyone except the red-headed kid working the free food line, who, when I asked him what time the line opened, replied, "How the f*** do I know." But a minute later, even he changed his demeanor and asked me if I was interested in a bowl of oatmeal.

Especially polite and meek are the homeless bums who have gravitated here for the free food, smokes, and the company of others. Normally, they would be told to shove off.

The presence of the police has no doubt helped keep the peace. Of course, they have to be paid and have already cost the city hundreds of thousands of dollars in overtime. Money, the city has not. Mayor Nutter has been smart to allow the protesters to blow off what little steam they have and wait for the protest to peter out, which it will in the not too distant future.

UPDATE: Comment of the Day:
" Its easy for Mr. Spencer to criticize these unemployed people looking for work. Hell, everyone would love to have a cushy position like Mr. Gil Spencer has. Getting paid a good salary for the mindless dribble he supposely earns for his "work/writing". Gil has been stealing a pay check from the Daily Times for years. "
The Commenter is right, it is easy for me to criticize these unemployed people, but who says they're looking for work? Besides, I'm not criticizing them for being unemployed, I'm observing that they don't have a clue about what getting whatever it is they want. I admit my luck in having a job and getting paid, but I'd probably be making a far better salary if I'd chosen to go into a different field of endeavor. But I made by bed.

One more thing. It's isn't "mindless dribble" It's mindless drivel. Mindless dribble is what bad point guards do. If the commenter doesn't know that, he's ill-equipped for this cushy position.

UPDATE II:
From: n.a. poe [napoe0@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:41 AM
To: Gil Spencer
Subject: scumbag exploitative quasi journalism

hey f---face,
great article...i can see why you write for such a prestigious newspaper. go f--- yourself.
Now there's the revolutionary spirit and anger needed to bring hope, change and justice to America.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bob Bohne said...

Kids! Got to love em. But, hey! The lady friend is cute.

October 12, 2011 at 9:27 AM 
Blogger Dannytheman said...

Bob,

I agree on the lady friend! I am always willing to call out our commonality!

October 12, 2011 at 5:13 PM 
Blogger Bob Bohne said...

She can come over here and occupy Spring St. anytime she wants to.

October 12, 2011 at 5:47 PM 
Anonymous Cindy said...

Bob, I agree on the lady friend! I am always willing to call out our commonality!

February 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home