Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Spencer vs. Haverford

In responding to a Letter to the Editor signed by five Haverford Township commissioners that appeared in today's paper, (see below), I wrote that it seems I "hit a nerve."

A perceptive commenter to that blog item, avers that my "strong response" suggests the letter struck a nerve in me. He is quite right.

Misrepresenting what I wrote and then characterizing it as "vile," "bizarre," "warped" and "ignorant" offends me.

I challenge every Haverford commissioner who signed that letter to defend it. They should be able to tell me why people who suffer the stigma of being pedophiles shouldn't be covered by a law that purports to protect people from discrimination based on their "sexual orientation."

In other words, they should put up or shut up.

Furthermore, Lansdowne Mayor Jayne Young has called this newspaper to clarify that in her testimony arguing in favor of the anti-discrimination ordinance she never used the word "boon" to describe the economic benefits she believes have accrued or will accrue to Lansdowne thanks to its new law. The word was used in a news story describing her testimony and again in an editorial lauding the idea citing her testimony. She did not say the word does not reflect the substance of her testimony.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home