Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Political Combat: Mano a Mano's

At about 3:30 p.m., I go down to my favorite polling place and pizza joint, Mano's Gulf Station at 9th and Kerlin in Chester.



Judge of Election Pearl Burton says turnout is "pretty good," though not nearly as good as two years ago.

Go figure.

On my way home I spot a man with a hand-made sign at Edgemont Ave and 22nd Street. The sign says, "If you don't vote, Obama loses."



I stop and talk to the guy. His name is Philip Maneval and he's from Swarthmore.

"I took a vacation day today. I've been out here since 8 a.m," he says. "During the primary, my daughter and I registered about 50 new voters from this corner. I want to make sure they stay engaged."

He says it's "hard to imagine" people not voting, "there's so much at stake. Republicans have no answers and are unwilling to compromise, to work together for the common good. It seems the only idea they have is tax cuts and more tax cuts."

That's the party line anyway.

He asked how the turnout was. I told him moderate and he grimmaced. He knows the score.



He was joined by Darryl Lee of Brookhaven.

"I read the sign and came over for conversation," he says, "And I'm not leaving... until he does."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home