Saturday, April 24, 2010

Feeling the Draft

[Posted by Jake]

It seems appropriate that, on NFL draft weekend, I'm drafted to the Spencerblog team. I've got to tell you, though, that reading the Buckleyesque entry of first round pick "parallel", versus this glorified tweet of a free agent walk-on, is pretty intimidating. However, I can't resist this bloggertunity to amuse, annoy, and possibly inform.

One of my favorite days of the year is the NFL Draft. Okay, I admit it. I'm a draft geek. Since it moved to two nights of prime time this year, I have to think I'm not alone. Everybody takes on the role of general manager, getting worked up over your team not selecting a guy that has won you over with 15 seconds of game highlights. You're able to offer unsolicited opinions about mock drafts, team grades and expert analysis. They even have their own "underwear Olympics" known as the Combine where the future millionaires are measured, weighed, poked and prodded to decide how quickly they receive their money. See Mamula, Mike to feel an Eagles fan's pain as to how all this information can go awfully wrong.

Best of all, there are few things on the family calendar that annoy the wife like the NFL Draft. I hole up, unshaven and marginally showered, in the War Room, otherwise know as the den, listening to Kiper, McShay and other guys who, even on their best day, are pretty irritating. Spread out all around me are printouts, newspaper articles, written lists and notes scavenged from websites all across the Internet. Generally, the more obscure the better. The Holy Grail is that sleeper pick in the sixth round who goes on to win league MVP. See Brady, Tom for further confirmation.

So far, I'm thinking the Eagles are really missing former GM, Tom Heckert. Undersized defensive ends, a safety who tackles like Asante and a no-name cornerback don't seem the cure to the late season whuppings we endured from those insufferable Cowboys. I really hope I'm wrong.

1 Comments:

Blogger Spencerblog said...

You're not.

April 25, 2010 at 8:25 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home