Friday, October 2, 2009

Diligence in Penn Delco?

The Penn Delco school board has reached an agreement with its teachers union. The teachers will get a 3.5 percent raise this year. And a 3.75 percent raise over the next three years after that.

In a down economy (one that could get worse before it gets better) you might think holding the line on public employees salaries and benefits might be advisible. But no. While other people are losing their jobs and their homes, teachers salaries continue to rise, thanks to amiable school boards.

Penn Delco shouldn't be singled out. Most districts in this county will continue to offer their teachers raises, while the people who pay their salaries have seen their own stagnant for years.

To quote our story:
Nine months of diligent negotiations bore fruit Thursday when the Penn-Delco School Board and the Penn-Delco Education Association ratified a new four-year contract.
Who's says the negotiations were "diligent" and how do we know the "fruit" they "bore" isn't rotten as well as expensive?

I mean, I'm just askin? I'm willing to be convinced - depending on the details of the new health plan - that it's a decent deal. But from what I've read, it sounds like another school board (and the taxpayers they're supposed to represent) have, once again, been had.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The quote in the paper by Linda Cook and Anthony Ruggieri was quite interesting. Neither one knew the exact amount of money this contract would cost. How can you negotiate a contract without the cost being made public.I guess that will be another right to know request.
On another issue. A vote as important as a teachers contract almost did not take place as they did not have a quorum till the 5th board member happened to show up. ALL board members should have voted on this contract. It just goes to show the inexperienced people running the district.There is one board member who hasn't been in attendence for months. Could it be because she was not supported by her party and decided not to show up at all. If that is the case she should have been replaced months ago. This board has a long way to go to actually represent the shareholders of this district. Leadership is just not there!

October 2, 2009 at 2:30 PM 
Anonymous Minky said...

To Whom it may concern:
The taxpayer is not just another gold mine to be stripped at will. Here is a few suggestions to cut costs, End extracurricular activities, school lunch progams (they can bring there own lunch) do this until the economy improves.
End school bussing, that is the parents responsibility. They are young and can walk, besides it's good for the heart. Larger class rooms and less teachers. More improtantly say "no" to the greedy unions. Get off your duff and do something important, look out for the tax payer!

October 2, 2009 at 6:48 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At a Special Meeting called to vote on a teachers' contract, it seems ignorant of the Board not to have details readily available for the public. Or maybe arrogant...

October 2, 2009 at 7:22 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

minky, those are the worst ideas I have ever heard! I'm guessing you don't have kids!

October 3, 2009 at 8:34 AM 
Anonymous Minky said...

Anonymous#2 Lets put it this way, I am a senior and believe in basics, espcially when I'm paying for it, I have no childen and never did but I am paying through the nose for some strangers childs education. I am frugal because I have no other choice. Now do you under stand???

October 3, 2009 at 5:16 PM 
Anonymous Minky said...

Excuse me, but my last comments were actually directed to Anonymous#3 I might add that since I never had any children in the public school system and I myself received my education through the Catholic schools , What is happening to me, as well as others like myself, comes under the following:"taxation without representation is tyranny"!

October 3, 2009 at 5:55 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Minky, if you don't want to pay taxes, become a renter. Are you receiving medicare? Because my taxes are helping pay for that...so, it evens out!

October 4, 2009 at 5:48 PM 
Anonymous Minky said...

Anonymous#3 I am going to walk out on my home and rent, because the state demands that I pay for a strangers education? It took years for me to finally own a home and your suggestion is to give it up. There have been many seniors who have already lost there homes and some are on the edge of doing so and your attitude is: So what! I got a secret for you, I also payed for medicare all my working life and now I am reaping it's benefits. Some day God willing, you will be in my shoes and then maybe you will understand.

October 5, 2009 at 9:11 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Minky...I'm not saying so what, I am saying that we all pay taxes, and those taxes get used for things that may not benefit all of us. Have you ever been on welfare? Food stamps, unemployment etc? Cuz your taxes are paying for that too, not just education. Cutting school funding is not the answer.

October 5, 2009 at 2:34 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home