Wednesday, August 5, 2009

My Apology to the Sestak Campaign

What follows is a (slightly edited) copy of an e-mail I just sent the Sestak Campaign.

To: Joe Sestak and Company,
From: Gil Spencer
Re: Cheap shot.

Joe,

In Wednesday's column I took what I considered to be a small - but now admittedly cheap - shot concerning your e-mail asking for a contribution. I am told that my computer server might have been responsible for the typo I chided your campaign of committing.

I will try to be less petty and more substantive in whatever criticism I have of your campaign in the future.

Sincerely,
Gil Spencer

UPDATE: My apology is not about me. It's about all of us and getting to a place where none of us ever has to say "I'm sorry" again.

UPDATE II: Sorry, I couldn't resist.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Email servers substitute punctuation characters all the time if the email contains fonts, formatting or sometimes different sending/receiving email programs.

As for the grammar police...
you wrote:
I am told that..

However, you SHOULD have written:
I have been told that...

to be consistent with the tenses in your letter.

Also, you wrote:
"I will try to be less petty and more substantive in whatever criticism I have of your campaign in the future."

I suspect that a more honest sentence would have the word "more" instead of "less".

"Sorry" for the cheap-shots.

August 8, 2009 at 4:28 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home