Monday, February 25, 2008

And the Loser Is...

Just a few words about the Oscars...

Last year I was disappointed that "Pan's Labyrinth" didn't win Best Foreign Language film losing out to "The Lives of Others." Though I hadn't seen latter I couldn't imagine it being better than Del Toro's terrific fable which I thought was flat out the best film of the year.

But then I saw The Lives of Others and it blew me away. If it wasn't better than Pan's it was every bit as good in a different but powerful way.

Both dealt with the subject of totalitarianism and its effect on the innocent and powerless.

This year, my biggest disappointment was that Sidney Lumet's "Before The Devil Knows Your Dead" wasn't nominated.

No complaints that "No Country For Old Men" won Best Picture. It's a very good movie. But I far more enjoyed Lumet's dark, sexy, depressing, and very clever film.

You will too if and when you rent it. But pay attention. If you don't you won't get it.

As for the Oscar show itself, it was its usual bore. But full props to John Stewart. He was his funny, smart-alecky self and moved the show along as best he could.

It was also smart and classy of him to bring back Best Song-winner Marketa Irglova (from "Once") to say a few words of thanks when she was cut off. She was charming. Nice touch and good call.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home