Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Superbad Parenting

A 25-year-old friend of mine said I had to see the movie "Superbad." He said it's "awesome," by which, he meant very funny. It's rated R. I asked him if I could take my 14-year-old daughter to it.
"No way," he replied.
I asked Mallory if she wanted to see it.
"Absolutely," she said. And she wanted to bring her girlfriend, Sarah.
Of course, I took them. Because when it comes to parenting I don't take advice from 25-year-old single men.
I was wrong. He was right. The movie is funny. But no responsible parent should permit their teenage son or daughter to see it.
I asked my daughter if she was ruined. She said no, but we'll see.
I also asked Sarah, who replied, "I feel like my innocence has been stolen."
I'm not a bad parent. I'm a Superbad parent.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you think they bother putting ratings on movies?

Rated R means "Restricted. Under 17 Requires Accompanying Parent or Adult Guardian." The Rating Board applies this rating to movies the members believe contain a high level of adult content, such as harsh profanity, intense violence, explicit sexual content and extensive drug use. In some states, the minimum age to see an R rated movie unaccompanied is 18.

If your daughter is 14, I recommend viewing the movie yourself before deciding whether or not it is appropriate for her and her friends to see.

August 22, 2007 at 9:23 PM 
Blogger David Diano said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 23, 2007 at 1:13 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And maybe Gil’s daughter can set David straight about his politics. ;)

August 23, 2007 at 1:54 AM 
Blogger Spencerblog said...

I stand corrected.

August 23, 2007 at 2:02 AM 
Blogger Spencerblog said...

By the way, Sarah was kidding.

August 23, 2007 at 2:04 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your daughter and her friend can survive the daily profanity laced, sexual ambiguity of high school, I think they can handle approximately 2 hours of Superbad.

August 23, 2007 at 12:30 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think any parent who actually admits his/her mistakes is a parent for whom there is hope. And apologizing when we make them gives our kids a chance to realize that mom or dad really isn't perfect, so maybe they don't need to be perfect either. I let my 7-year-old daughter rent a PG-13 movie a couple of months ago. I didn't even apologize to her when I actually left the room as she watched it...hopefully she doesn't grow up and turn into me now or something.

August 26, 2007 at 7:20 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home